There are types of software applications for web development that's used by web developers or even web designers for developing or designing websites. Many of those types with their so-called classes, are listed below.
Some text editors are simple, while others offer broad and complex functions that's used for writing source code and programming.
- A text editor is a type of program used for editing text files. Some regular text editors such as Windows Notepad (software) can save as HTML and Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) documents simply by using file extensions such as ".html", ".htm" and ".css". There are also text editors designed for use from a command line interface (CLI) and in a graphical user interface (GUI) such as Vim.
- A source code editor such as Sublime Text, is a text editor program designed specifically for editing source code of computer programs by programmers, and can able to edit any code, whether it's CSS document or PHP file unlike some HTML editors. There are programmers that likes to use this kind of text editor and not to use an integrated development environment for a reason.
There are various forms of HTML editors such as text, object and WYSIWYG editors. For more information about HTML editors, please visit The “Text, Object and WYSIWYG” HTML Editors.
- Text editor is one of the types of HTML editors as it can act like a basic HTML editor that can able to edit HTML documents, mostly if it can save files with file extensions such as ".html" and ".htm".
- An HTML (hyper-text markup language) editor is a web design program for creating web pages. Some HTML editors couldn't edit the file other than HTML document that end in ".htm" or ".html" and designed not for program's source code but for writing HTML code.
- Object editors are web page-creation tools that functions like Blogger Layout object editor. You couldn't see on the interface what you get but you'll see the objects of your website, that can be drag and drop in order to rearrange their positions or orders.
- WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) HTML editors provides an editing interface which resembles how the web page will be displayed in a web browser. Despite of their nice interface, they could only build static websites, in contrast to dynamic sites.
- A WYSIWYM (what you see is what you mean) editor is an alternative paradigm to WYSIWYG editor. Instead of displaying the format and presentation of the web page, WYSIWYM preserves the intended meaning of each element, such as headings, sections, and paragraphs. These meanings are labeled as such in the editing program.
These are the other types of specialized software applications that are not listed above.
- Website builders are tools that allow the construction of websites without manual code editing. Their interface and functions are like a WYSIWYG editor, but most of them couldn't create web pages with an external style sheet. Some on-line WYSIWYG HTML editors are called “website builders”.
- An integrated development environment (IDE) for web development is a software that provides comprehensive facilities to web developers, such as Visual Studio Express for Web which is now the best free alternative to Microsoft FrontPage and Expression Web. It's a set of web development tools that save time, normally consists of a source code editor and build automation tools. That's why there's a software engineer that said,
If you just want to make a sandwich (referring for a website) you don't need the entire supermarket (referring the tools of an IDE).
These are the different types of software programs that can produce an item which can then be use on a website, such as graphics, rich Internet applications and videos.
- Some raster graphics editors that allows users to paint and edit pictures interactively on the computer screen, can also used to create a web layout and save it as HTML files by using file extensions such as ".html". Yet, they're still useful for making graphics such as logos, icons and thumbnails of a website.
- Multimedia authoring tools are used to create content for a media player, such as multimedia, executing rich Internet applications (RIAs), and streaming video and audio.
- A 3D computer graphics software such as Blender (software) can be used for creating animated films and 3D computer-generated imagery.