Why should a web developer write code using an integrated development environment (IDE) for web development? Simply because of its tools and features such as intelli-sense, short for “intelligent sense”, which attempts to speed up the process of coding web applications by reduction in misunderstandings, typos and other mistakes that programmers commonly make.
Installing an IDE
Here, you will see the instructions for installing an integrated development environment, and the specific IDE that we'll going to install as our example is a freeware, Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web. You can install “Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web - English” at Windows Web App Gallery - Install an App.
Keep note, some people are reporting that the Microsoft Web Platform Installer (WPI) is broken. Mostly if you'll going to install Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web on the computer which was allowed its other user to log in automatically after starting it without entering user name and password, because installing this VS Express will require to reboot your computer, therefore, after restarting, you'll be logged with a different user. Or if you didn't leave the “Windows Web App Gallery - Install an App” page open until the WPI starts. Now, if it fail with such details that's shown on the image above, please follow these steps:
- Internet connection required! Download “Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web” from Download Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Web from Official Microsoft Download Center.
- You will be downloaded a setup program which named "vns_full.exe" if the language that you've chosen is English. You can also use this program after installing Visual Studio Express to "Repair" and to "Uninstall" it.
- Find and "Open" this new downloaded setup, and "Run" it.
- Agree to the License' terms and conditions of “VS Express for Web”, and "INSTALL" the software.
- Press "Yes" if your computer system ask you such
Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?
- And wait until all the specified components have been acquired and applied on your computer. The estimated time of installing in broadband connection is 3 hours. It depends on your Internet connection.
- Reboot (or restart) your computer if the install process require to restart it.
- And after restarting, keep waiting if the installation is still in process.
- After acquiring and applying, the setup would become
Setup Successful!You can now "LAUNCH" your integrated development environment.
Updating an IDE
These instructions below will guide us how to install a “Visual Studio 2012 Update” to VS Express for Web, that would give us a basic understanding how to update an integrated development environment:
- Internet required.. Download the latest Visual Studio 2012 Update on the Additional software section of Download _ Microsoft Visual Studio 2012.
- You will be downloaded the update setup program that can also "Repair" and "Uninstall" the update if it's already installed.
- "Open" this newly downloaded setup program and "Run" it.
- Agree to the License' terms and conditions, and click on "INSTALL".
- If your PC warns you such like if
Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?Just allow it by pressing "Yes".
- The setup is now installing the software components. The estimated time of acquiring these is 33 minutes and of applying is 35 minutes, by using broadband connection.
- Reboot your computer when the update setup require to restart it.
- And if the setup is still in process after restarting, just keep patience until its end.
- If all the specified components have been installed successfully, you can now "LAUNCH" the new updated IDE.